Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Nannies in the City



It's been a while since I posted...not sure if anyone is even still checking this! But, I'll try and get back on track with some regular posts.

I thought I would start with a post for my fellow Chicago Moms and share a recommendation for a parents network recommended to me by my pediatrician. It's Neighborhood Parents Network of Chicago (NPN). It's really a wonderful network with a number of discussion boards and tons of ways to get involved and meet other moms/families. They even have multiples events! They have educational sessions, music events, health events and the list goes on.

I think the most valuable aspect of the network is the childcare resources. I joined a few weeks ago because we were looking for a new nanny. Last time I used Sitterycity.com and I was not very happy with the service. We received an overwhelming number of applicants and it was too hard to weed through them to find good people.

The NPN discussion board is full of families recommending nannies. It's a lot of mom's that decide to stay home an no longer need their nannies or the family is moving. The love their nannies and want to help them find another job. So, you are now dealing with a much smaller number of candidates, but it's a much better group to choose from.

Through this site, I also found Amy Weber. She runs Sitter Savvy Chicago, a service to help you find the right nanny. She has put together a network of nannies and she will recommend potential candidates to you by sending you a few resumes. You can either contact them yourself or she will make all the interview arrangements for a small fee. Her only other fee is $45 if you hire one of her candidates. We found our new nanny through her service and we can't wait for her to start next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment